Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 4 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Starry, Starry Night (Rooster 21, Night)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:59 pm 

The cool night breeze brushed through Bellena's wild red hair as she stood at the helm of the ship that night. She looked out at the stars, her eyes darted between them. Her mind raced making small calculations based off of their position. The Kunshu Maru pressed on at the head of the fleet unfettered. Her eyes stopped for a moment as a faint red star appeared at the brink of the horizon. She knew that it's place in the sky would not last long this night given their location and had nothing to do with their current, but it still signified something important to her. She watched it for a few minutes, her mind wandering to thoughts of the day she learned for the first time what that star meant.

As it disappeared down below the horizon line again she could feel the chill of the breeze on a line of skin that trailed down from the corner of her eye. Moving her hand up to wipe the area dry, she let out a sigh... Then her gaze once again turned to the sea...

----

No More Sickness

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

Post subject: Re: Starry, Starry Night (Rooster 21, Night)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:37 pm 

The sound of steps approaching the helm could be heard, and it wasn't a surprise to see Utsu coming to join the navigator. The woman was keeping odd hours, making sure that she could look after the crew and officers as often as possible, so one day she would sleep in in the mornings and the next she could be sleeping in the evening.

"Muhaki-san, I brought something warm for you to drink," she greeted in a friendly tone, holding a sturdy cup in each hand that was still steaming. "The nights get surprisingly chilly this far out I have noticed, but it is probably no surprise to you."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:49 pm 

She nodded in acknowledgement and thanks, "Thank you, Agasha-sama. It can get pretty cold... but the wind blowing means we get closer to our destination each hour."

Internally she was worried about the trend she had seen that night; the wind kept getting slower and slower.

After taking a sip of the drink she asked, "And how have been your first few days?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:52 pm 

"I can't complain really," she passed one cup to Berena and took the other for herself.

"My brother-in-law warned me of the sea-sickness, but it seems I was right in that it is much easier to handle than the nausea that comes with child-bearing," Utsu chuckled with some mirth. "Apart from unsteady legs at first, I feel I am adjusting well. It is easy to see why people want to travel the sea... and how are you settling in as First Mate?"

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:56 pm 

She smirked at the woman's chuckle and nodded her head. Then replied to her question, "It's a role I'm familiar with. Was a First Officer on a ship for about seven years. We're just getting started here, but we have a fair number of experienced sailors along with us. Captain is young, but sharp. All in all it's not a bad start."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:02 pm 

"That is good to hear," she nodded. It was probably good that someone so experienced as the Tortoise saying such. "Were those other ships as... hm, diverse as this? Considering the staff we have with us for the temple-project, and the Merenaese."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:06 pm 

She tilted her head, "Merenaese sailors are fairly common on boats that wish to survive on the high seas. Monks and priest are a new addition though."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:12 pm 

"Mhm," she nodded. Sea-faring monks, priests, and other staff for the temple was probably unusual.

"The Merenaese language also seem to lend itself well to... shall we say, sailor talk?" Utsu giggled softly. "Not that I understand anything of it, but it seems a colourful language to vent one's frustrations. But as an outsider listening, it probably sounds different than what it is intended to be."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:17 pm 

She nodded, "There is a great deal of variation in Merenaese. Most of what you'll hear here is 'sailor talk' as you call it. But it is a beautiful language when it wants to be as well."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:20 pm 

"Mhm," another nod. "I heard a lovely Merenaese song before leaving Dragon's Guard City... I wish I knew it's name and meaning, but the one who performed it for me was very insistent that I did not ask him to translate it or its meaning. Though I am not sure if merely trying to repeat the melody would help in identifying it?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:22 pm 

"I might be able to recall it if I heard the melody..." She replied.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:35 pm 

"I will gladly try, though I apologise for not being a skilled musician."

Taking a sip of the warm tea to relax her throat, Utsu took a few moments to find the right state of mind to recall the melody, the way in which Sanjuro had performed it. Gently at first she began to hum the melody, and as she found the tune, managed to vocalize it to bring it closer to the performance she had heard.

---

Rooster 21st. Song/Awa to repeat the melody of Sanjuro's song. Void for skill. Inflicting one raise called for unfamiliar tune. TN 20: 5d10o10k4 36
Scene with lyrics

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:42 pm 

She nodded, "You did quite well for just hearing it once. It's a somewhat famous song. About a man who can't be with the woman he loves and so is torn with sadness and longing."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:50 pm 

Her On did not allow for more than just raised eyebrows to show her surprise at its meaning.

"I see," she murmured, taking another sip of tea. "No wonder it felt like such a sad song... not only its melody, but with the way the words seemed to portray the emotions."

"Ah, it is probably silly of me to say so, but I would love to learn the language. It seems so beautiful and poetic, but it I imagine not many will speak Rokugani where we are going."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:54 pm 

She nodded, "Certainly not to the degree of where we came from. Merenaese tends to be the main language of traders and those who frequently travel the sea. It's definitely going to take a bit of work for you to get anywhere near competency... but your an experienced enough woman to already understand that."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:01 pm 

Another nod. "I understand. My brother-in-law did lend me a few texts to help me along, but the assistance of someone like yourself would be a great help."

"And it will be something to pass the time with during quiet moments."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:03 pm 

"I'm always on night duty. So if you want to practice, I'll usually be standing right here." She said with a nod.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:10 pm 

"Thank you. Your assistance is much appriciated," she bowed slightly. "If there is anything else I can assist you with, Muhaki-san, you need only ask. We are after all part of the same team now, and we are both invested in the temple-project."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:15 pm 

She nodded, "Indeed we are."

She then looked over to the woman, taking her gaze from the sea. "I'm guessing you are somewhat conflicted about having to work with a 'gaijin' on this matter."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:50 pm 

"Not really, to be honest," she said sincerely. "I bear no ill will towards those happen to be born in a foreign land, and you seem to be a good and sensible woman. I am more concerned with properly honoring a Fortune, as per the decree of a Hantei."

Theme #5Profile

Page 1 of 4 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next