Page 4 of 5 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: [A3 Rooster 23] Becalmed
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:24 am 

She smiled and watched his eyes, “Go ahead young man.”

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:40 am 

That made Kenzo glance back with a chuckle. "Young man? Muhaki-sama, I'll admit that I have difficulty judging your age..." He tried again. Her eyes gave him special trouble. His eyes traced downward briefly before flickering back up.

He cleared his throat, smiling. "Surely you aren't more than I few years older than I am."

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:03 am 

"It's impolite to ask a Merenaese woman her age." She said with a smirk. "But I am 27. Probably not too far off from the woman your rushing to chase after."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:33 am 

Kenzo's lips had parted, preparing for another witticism, but they pressed shut as Berena finished her statement.

"Oh, no, I think you misunderstand, Muhaki-sama." He said, his face suddenly serious. "I... was merely thinking of something she said. She is a good friend." He cleared his throat. "In addition to being the wife of my immediate superior."

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:51 am 

"I've met plenty of men and women that forget unfortunate things like marriages and promises to loved ones while at sea. You two wouldn't be the first and you won't be the last. And wise old birds won't get you in trouble either way... just be careful it doesn't interfere with your duties. Lots of men get sick from sleeping with the wrong women at port."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:32 am 

"Surely they don't forget them on a ship." Kenzo said, shaking his head. "I mean, there's always someone around." He gave Berena a dry look.

The look turned considering a moment later. "I... gather from your words, that you won't repeat it if you found my behavior towards Agasha-sama to be a little over-familiar? As you've no doubt learned from even a small amount of time on the mainland, gossip can be vicious about such things."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:36 am 

She tilted her head, "People are people on a boat as much as they are on land. Not a ton of privacy to be sure, but some people don't mind."

She then nodded, "I have no intention of doing anything to hurt you or the lady's reputation. Not like there'd be anyone that'd listen in the first place."

She smiled a bit, "But more than that I'm not the type to go around gossiping and sniping at my enemies, let alone my shipmates."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:59 am 

"Rokugani mind." Kenzo said. "Propriety is very important for our society."

He sighed. "I do wish more had your attitude. As I said, it can be cruel. I can't abide cruelty. Never could." He chuckled. "Nature is harsh, but I would not call it cruel."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:00 am 

“Oh?” She asked. “Why not?”

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:10 am 

Kenzo tilted his head to the side. "Ummm... which?" He shrugged. "If the latter, I would say because nature ultimately operates under a system of rules and patterned behaviors. It may seem cruel when crops freeze, or when a wolf kills, but they are both part of an understandable natural order. I hope to understand it better."

He gave a wry smirk. "If you meant the first..." He shrugged. "I suppose I don't like to see people suffer needlessly. That's all."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:31 pm 

"I meant the cruelty of the natural world... I've always wondered on its lack of compassion. It seems that much of nature is somewhere on the scale between apathy and antipathy." She replied.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:51 pm 

Kenzo nodded. "Apathy is fair to say." He looked thoughtful for a moment. "I suppose in a way, there is some similarity between nature and the courts here in Rokugan. Both have certain established patterns that require certain types of behavior. If you follow these patterns, you can survive, even thrive. If you go against them..." He shrugged.

"The difference, as I see it, comes in that nature is predictable, at least in theory. And theologians may argue with me, but does not have a consciousness behind it. Court, on the other hand, does, at least in collective."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:58 pm 

"So you see a strong distinction between man and his environment?" She asked.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:07 pm 

"Hmmm." Kenzo smiled. "I can recall my teachers sometimes asking me questions in much a similar tone, Muhaki-sama." He gave a short bow.

"But to answer your question... I would say that man attempts to impose his own order upon his environment. In court, that is fairly successful. To find an example with much less distinction between the two..." He raised his hands, gesturing all around. "Well, I feel we are in it right now." He gave her his raised-eyebrows look again, inviting comment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:09 pm 

She chuckled, "You seem to think we're not having much of an impact on the world we inhabit right now?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:19 pm 

"You mean right here, now, at this moment?" He looked out at the sea, silent for a few moments. "The ocean is so vast. We may be travelling on it, but I don't think we're changing it. And it controls our behavior so completely. A simple lack of wind, and..." He trailed off with a sigh.

He turned back to Berena. "Perhaps I would feel differently if I was a more experience sailor."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:35 pm 

"Wherever men go... there follows change. Just as if a pack of wolves were to move locations in the forest, we cause the migration of countless numbers of animal life underneath us." She replied looking down at the waves.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:38 pm 

Kenzo followed her glance down. "I had noticed the animals following the ship, of course. The fish, the birds, the porpoises... marvelous creatures." He sighed. "I do take your meaning, Muhaki-sama. We act upon it, and it acts upon us."

He crossed his arms across his chest, his expression deeply thoughtful.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:01 pm 

"Something to think about." She said with a smile as she looked over at him.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:50 pm 

After a few moments, Kenzo shook his head, shaking himself out of his reverie. "I will, Muhaki-sama, I assure you."

He bowed. "Well... perhaps I really should turn in, before it's fully dark. I don't want to unduly disturb my bunkmates." He gave Berena a thoughtful nod. "I appreciate your insights, as always, Muhaki-sama."

Page 4 of 5 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next