Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 3 of 4 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Another Turn Of The Wheel (D1, LE, The Wheel)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:27 am 

It partly felt good to have opened up and shared this talk, cathartic even to have allowed herself to cry. Though some of the shame of what had happened still remained, as did her worry for him.

At least, this would not make him drink in the middle of the day like that again. And perhaps they could move on a little better now.

"It is how it is," Utsu agreed, her eyes downcast as she dabbed at the red and black running from the tears. At least she seemed calmer as she found back that Doji discipline slowly but surely. "Hm... this did make me more tired than I thought I was, but it was perhaps for the best we both got to air our burdens."

A small sigh. "I was going to write home before we left, but... that will have to wait. Whatever I want to say is best done in person, and my words now would only be rash. Working on a few projects before sleep sounds like a better idea. It clears the mind, don't you think?"

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:36 am 

"I can show you the books I mentioned if you want."

He pulled back, his face back to its usual grumpy calm, more or less. His introvertedness sucked everything he was feeling back deep inside. He did not comment on anything else, likely having expended his capacity to be verbose for a week or so. His eyes did not prey on her destroyed make-up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:00 am 

Knowing he was not the kind to be talkative, or very open for that matter, she felt that she should at least be a little grateful that he decided to be for her.

... Of course, there was that nagging feeling in the back of her mind that made her think it might all be back to square one again.

"Ah, I had almost forgotten," she blinked as she looked more presentable again (though she would not step outside until she had a mirror and time to fix the damage properly). "Thank you, I would like that."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:13 am 

"I'll wait upstairs. You need some time for yourself before that, right?" He sprung up from seiza.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:45 am 

"Mm," a small nod, "I won't be long, just... need to wipe my face a little, that is all. I'll be with you in a second."

She managed a sincere albeit a little weak smile, showing that she was alright, or at least better than she had been a moment ago.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:48 am 

He nodded and went up the stairs, giving her her privacy. There, in his small sanctuary with bookshelves, he sat silent for a moment, managing internal turmoils through introspection, then moved to the volumes, selecting a few.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:07 pm 

As she was alone, Utsu took several deep breaths to calm herself. Things were looking better now, but she knew well enough that looks could be deceptive... Baka, she thought as she wiped her face with a handkerchief. How foolish she had been, to have not seen Sanjuro's feelings, and mistaken his distance for dislike and hate.

A few more moments and the messed up makeup was wiped clean away, and she felt more composed. Sighing silently, she headed up the stairs as well to see these books Sanjuro had collected. "I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long," she said as she rejoined him.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:19 pm 

He was sitting with legs crossed, the book opened on his lap. He looked up with a slight raising of brows at the moment she appeared in the doorframe, then started reading.

"The firste stock-mother of gentleness,
What man desireth gentle for to be,
Must follow her trace, and all his wittes dress,
Virtue to love, and vices for to flee;
For unto virtue longeth dignity,
And not the reverse, safely dare I deem,
All wear she mitre, crown, or diademe.

This firste stock was full of righteousness,
True of her word, sober, pious, and free,
Clean of her ghost, and loved business,
Against the vice of sloth, in honesty;
And, but her bairn love virtue as did she,
She is not gentle, though she riche seem,
All wear she mitre, crown, or diademe.

Vice may well be bairn to old richess,
But there may no man, as men may well see,
Bequeath her bairn her virtuous nobless;
That is appropried to no degree,
But to the Kharsis in majesty,
Which makes her heire her that doth her queme,
All wear she mitre, crown, or diademe."

Then he roughly translated the Thranish poem.

"This is how their poetry sounds like. Thought you might be interested."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:30 pm 

As he read aloud, she found a spot near him to listen, leaning forward with interest and curiosity as she absorbed first the foreign words, then the translation.

"It is... strange. Perhaps their poetry try more to convey lessons or words of wisdom like we more often relate to parables and tales, rather than emotion and moments?" She looked over at the strange letters that made up the foreign language.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:44 am 

He shrugged. "Perhaps, though you are the poet to understand such things better." He turned a few pages and began reading again. "This feels like a song...?"

"Are you going to Morriston Faire?
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.
Remember me to one who lived there.
She once was a true love of mine.

Have her make me a cambric shirt
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.
Without no seams, nor fine needle work.
Then she'll be a true love of mine.

Tell her to weave it in a sycamore wood lane.
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
Gather it up in a basket of flowers
Then she'll be a true love of mine

Have her wash it in yonder dry well
Where water ne'er sprung, nor drop of rain fell.

Tell her to to find me an acre of land.
Between the sea foam and over the sand.

Plough the land with the horn of a lamb.
Then sow some seeds from north of the dam.

Have her reap it with a sickle of leather.
Gather it up in a bunch of heather.

If she tells me she can't, then I'll reply.
Let me know, that at least she will try.

Love imposes impossible tasks
Though not more than any heart asks.
And I must know she's true love of mine

When thou has finished thy task.
Come to me my hand for to ask.
For then you'll be a true love of mine"

He needed another book to do the translation, looking up words in it, especially those that were botanical terms. Still, at some point he stumbled because of the message, though completed the translation once he mustered a more dispassionate tone.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:42 pm 

"Hm, a song," she agreed as the repetition of words, rhymes and sounds did make it feel that way, and as Sanjuro read its original text, she did wonder a lot on how the melody would go.

I should pick up an instrument or two for the trip... it's no good trying to imagine music if I have nothing to play.

"... Do you know the melody for it?" she asked, trying to not focus too much on the aspects of it that made the situation a little awkward for Sanjuro.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:24 pm 

"I think I'd like to know it. Those foreigners who live in the city, they are practically any and all Merenaese. I haven't heard anything like that from them." He paused, looking up at her. "Maybe in the course of the journey we'll meet someone who knows it?"

He shrugged, then closed the book on his lap. Looking at her, he took a deeper breath.

"I know a Merenaese song I could sing, but only under condition you'd not ask me to translate it."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:38 pm 

That earned him a raised eyebrow, and it was clear she wanted to ask about it. Hearing Sanjuro sing, a rarity in itself, or not...

"Very well, I will not ask then," she nodded, sitting up straight again and giving him an encouraging smile. "Mostly because I want to hear you sing."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:52 pm 

He closed his eyes and remained silent for quite a while. Maybe he was focusing, gathering courage or simply playing a musical prelude in his head on an instrument he didn't hold. And when it looked like he wouldn't sing at all, he quietly began.

"Ay de mí, Llorona, Llorona,
Llorona, mi cielo lindo.
Ay de mí, Llorona, Llorona,
Llorona, mi cielo lindo.
Ayer te vi penando, Llorona,
debajo de un tamarindo.
Ayer te vi penando, Llorona,
debajo de un tamarindo.

Salías del templo un día, Llorona,
Cuando al pasar yo te vi,
Salías del templo un día, Llorona,
Cuando al pasar yo te vi,
Hermoso huipil llevabas, Llorona,
Que la Kharsis te creí.
Hermoso huipil llevabas, Llorona,
Que la Kharsis te creí.

Si me voy, siento una pena, Llorona,
Si me quedo, siento dos,
Si me voy, siento una pena, Llorona,
Si me quedo, siento dos,
Por no sentir ni una pena, Llorona,
Ni me quedo ni me voy.
Por no sentir ni una pena, Llorona,
Ni me quedo ni me voy.

La pena y lo que no es pena, Llorona,
Todo es pena para mí,
La pena y lo que no es pena, Llorona,
Todo es pena para mí,
Ayer penaba por verte, Llorona,
Y hoy peno porque te vi.
Ayer penaba por verte, Llorona,
Y hoy peno porque te vi.

Ay, de mí, Llorona, Llorona,
Llorona, llévame a ver
Ay, de mí, Llorona, Llorona,
Llorona, llévame a ver
dónde de amores se olvida, Llorona,
y se empieza a padecer.
dónde de amores se olvida, Llorona,
y se empieza a padecer.

No creas que porque canto, ay Llorona,
tengo el corazón alegre.
No creas que porque canto, ay Llorona,
tengo el corazón alegre,
También de dolor se canta, ay Llorona,
cuando llorar no se puede.
También de dolor se canta, ay Llorona,
cuando llorar no se puede."

His voice was untrained, but interesting and heartfelt. He sang more confidently as he went to it. He found something in the song that let him breathe deeper. At no point did he open his eyes.

(Song, with alternative stanzas)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:05 pm 

As he began singing, she was at first overcome with surprise at how pleasant his voice was to listen to... it was not the first time he had surprised her, and probably not the last either, but it was a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

Utsu closed her eyes as well, allowing herself to completely submerge into the song and the emotions of it even if she did not understand the words. The heartfelt way in which Sanjuro performed it for her made her feel it was a very sad song, perhaps about a broken heart or losing a loved one.

She swallowed the lump in her throat as it reached its conclusion, realising how emotional it had made her. "It sounds like a sad song... Sanjuro, I didn't know you had such a raw talent for music." She opened her eyes, blinking a few times to not be overcome with how touched she was by the performance.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:19 pm 

"I don't think I do, Utsu." He opened his eyes after a few breaths to get back to a certain in-out equilibrium. "It's all contingent. Sometimes things like this work out, sometimes they do not. I don't know if I'll be able to sing this tomorrow, or ever again." He shrugged, looking at his calloused hands. "My place is the smithy, the laboratory, places where I can be consistent with what I can do."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:48 pm 

"I don't think that is quite true," she disagreed in a gentle tone. "Before you could do your work in the forge and the laboratory consistently, you had to go through trial and error many times until it became something you could perform consistently. I did not suddenly write good or even decent poetry myself one day; it took me years of practice and many many horrible poems I hope no one will ever read."

"So I fully believe that you could, with your talent, sing again like that... or even better if you wanted to practice it more." Not that she was a trained performer herself, but like with almost most things artistic or creative she had ever attempted, she had some talent with it.

She reached up and rubbed her neck thoughtfully. "Though that reminds me I am behind on my own studies as well these days. I've learned a lot since joining this family, but I don't think I could ever catch up to you or your brother."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:52 pm 

"It's not about that, Utsu. Learning requires drive. I have the drive to make and create. What would be my incentive to sing beyond this moment?" He shrugged. "If you want to learn something from me, all you need to do is tell me."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:54 pm 

"Because someone might want to hear you sing again sometime?" she said, unable to keep herself from a little tease in that regard, as she figured Koharu would probably have liked to hear him singing. "I know, I know... but it's late, so I won't ask tonight, and you've already done much."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:01 pm 

"As you wish." He nodded. "I'll stay here a little longer. I'll pack some books for the journey. The water in the bath should still be warmed up."

Sanjuro had a hydraulic system in the Wheel; the water used to cool the smithy via a mantle layer inside the walls was pumped to the bathing space. This way he did not need to carry hot stones there and back, or boil it over and over.

Page 3 of 4 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next